Growing up my little sister was allergic to just about everything! (gluten, dairy..all the good stuff) My mama was pretty much a health nut and had to be on my sister’s behalf. She would make spaghetti squash allllllll the time; so much it would make me sick to my stomach to even think about squash! Well, 15 years later I decided to give it another try and the new verdict is…. It’s delicious and healthy!
1 cup of squash= 5.4 mg of vitamin C! That’s 10% of the recommended amount a day!
It also contains; B-6, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid and vitamin K, manganese, potassium, magnesium, calcium, copper, iron, phosphorus, sodium, zinc and selenium.
One of my favorite ways to eat spaghetti squash is in lasagna! I don’t have much of a refined palette, and I am slightly a picky eater, so if I approve it must be worth trying?
- 1 pound ground beef, turkey, or sausage
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (I love garlic...thankfully hubby still loves me)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning (mine includes dried basil, oregano, parsley, and garlic & onion powder)
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I make mine in bulk ahead of time so i always have some on hand!)
- cheese mixture
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- Roast squash
- Preheat the oven to 400 Brush the inside of the spaghetti squash with olive oil, salt and pepper, put the squash face down and roast for about 30 mins
- Meat sauce
- Cook your meat until brown, then add your jar of spaghetti sauce
- Add your garlic, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and give it a good stir
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the spaghetti squash is cooked
- Time to put it all together!!!
- Shred the inside of each half of spaghetti squash, then add half the cottage cheese to one, followed by your meat sauce and cheese, repeat with the second on
- Broil in the oven until the cheese has melted, this normally on takes a couple of minutes